Tuesday, October 27, 2009

In Focus: Cabernet Sauvignon & Franc

So I just wanted to say I'm sorry for not posting in quite some time! I have been rather busy and I worked both days this weekend, which left me little time to catch up! Luckily, we had some exciting things happen today...


First, I came in this morning to a new facebook video and poll up online, which is always exciting. This time we are voting on which type of oak barrels we should put the Facebook Franc in. Apparently it is amazing right now, I have not had the pleasure of trying it, but I'll take Stephen's word on it! So good work thus far on making an amazing wine and keep up the voting!


We also racked off the Rosé today. This means it is going into barrel and it will be aging there for some time. It turns out it is 75% Cabernet Franc and 25% Merlot, both of which only sat on the skins for a limited amount of time to get a nice pale tint to the wine. I'm still unsure if Stephen has chosen to do a sweet or dry Rosé, but I am excited none the less. This is going to be the first time we are making a Rosé since 2006.



The Cabernet Sauvignon being pressed down and pink carbon dioxide bubbles forming over the cap


The other thing we did this afternoon was pressing off the Cabernet Sauvignon, which is amazing. According to Stephen it is going to be even better then the 2007 Cabernet Sauvignon, which won us the Governors Cup this year. I tasted the wine and it was great. It was very smooth which was unexpected to me because it is so young! I personally got a lot of pomegranate flavor from the wine, which I loved... So I am hoping that doesn't fall completely by the wayside as it ages. I think aging the wine in oak is going to give it much more depth so I am thrilled to see how this is going to turn out! 


cap - the layer of skins that sit on top of a wine (typically red) as it ferments. These caps need to be pressed down every few hours to keep the skins wet, so rot does not occur.

No comments:

Post a Comment